Please read these instructions carefully, and follow them in order from start to finish.
This firmware update assumes your Phatty is already running firmware v3.0 or higher.
If you are using an older OS, you will first need to update from v2 to v3, which is a separate procedure. See http://www.moogmusic.com/products/phattys/little-phatty-stage-ii#downloads-tab for the v2-to-v3 update, if needed.
If you are using an external MIDI interface for your computer, make sure it is up to date with the latest device drivers before using it to send this firmware update. You can usually find up-to-date drivers on the device manufacturer’s website.
A -- FIRMWARE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS:
Starting the Bootloader
Put the Little Phatty into bootloader mode as follows:
1. Start with the power switched off. Press and hold the MASTER button; while holding down MASTER, switch on the power. On the Phatty LCD screen you should see the message “Update Firmware? PRESET=Yes”.
2. Press the PRESET button to continue. This will erase the previous firmware. The LCD will prompt “Please Send Firmware” to indicate the unit is ready to receive new firmware.
3. Connect MIDI from your computer to the Little Phatty. If your LP has a USB port, connect USB from your computer to the LP. If no USB, connect the MIDI OUT from your computer MIDI interface to the MIDI IN port on the Little Phatty.
Uploading the OS 3.21 firmware
4. On your computer, launch the "PhattyLoader" application. This will open the Phatty Firmware Updater. If you don’t have the PhattyLoader app, see section C below for a link.
5. Go to the Device menu, and select your MIDI output device. This will be Little Phatty or USB Audio Device if using USB direct to the Phatty; otherwise you should select the MIDI output device which is connected to your Little Phatty's MIDI IN port.
6. Select the File menu and choose Open (ctrl+O). Select the firmware file “StageSystem_v3_21_691.hex” and click the Open button.
7. Click "Update Firmware" to send the firmware to the Little Phatty.
Watch the Little Phatty LCD; you should see "Receiving... Record #" 1, 2, 3...
The number of Records will count up until completion (about 235 records at the standard Timing settings).
When the update is complete, your Little Phatty will reboot to the new operating system.
After you have loaded the new operating system to the Little Phatty successfully,
you must turn off the power to the Little Phatty and turn it on again before MIDI will work properly.
Once you cycle the power in this way, your LP firmware update is complete.
Enjoy the new features!
(END of update procedure)
B – CHANGES, NEW FEATURES IN v3.2
- LOCAL CONTROL: OFF, ON, "noKB". The new noKB setting turns off local control for the keys only, while the knobs still affect the sound.
- ARP SETUP: SYNC LOCK (Off, On). New SYNC LOCK parameter keeps the arpeggiator phase constant from the time the arpeggiator is started, instead of resetting the timing on new notes. Sync Lock OFF gives the old behavior. Can also set by CC87 (0-63=off, 64-127=on).
- POLY mode: Multiple improvements and bug fixes to Poly mode. Fixed several ways that different units could get out of sync, and added a new voice-stealing behavior: When you release a note, the system looks for any keys that are still held whose voice has been stolen by a subsequent note, and re-plays the most recent stolen note. In practice, this helps prevent notes from seeming "dropped" when polyphony is momentarily exceeded (such as when playing legato phrases).
- MIDI Time Code (MTC) bug is fixed
- MIDI CC filtering bug is fixed: a few panel controls (Sync, osc octaves, mod source/dest) would still send MIDI even when MIDI CC filtering should have blocked them from sending.
- SYSTEM UTILITIES: PRESET MWHL (Mod Wheel amount saved with presets): added to Little Phatty. Slim Phatty already had this, but LP didn't until now.
- Turning off the arpeggiator while still holding a note: the held note continues to play now, instead of being silenced when the arp is turned off.
V3.21: Bugfix update. Note Calibration would not tune all octaves if Local Control was off; also removed Local Control: “noKB” option from the Slim Phatty (which has no keyboard).
C -- TROUBLESHOOTING:
PhattyLoader software download:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/phatty/PhattyLoader_mac.zip (Mac OSX/PPC)
If you get a Checksum Error during the PhattyLoader update process, do the following:
Turn off the LP and turn it back on again.
The Little Phatty LCD screen will display the following:
Little Phatty, Boot v1.1
Checksum Failure, Erasing Flash...
Checking for USB Module
Please Send Firmware
Close and re-open the Phatty Loader software.
In the PhattyLoader, go to the Timing menu and try setting the Packet Size to 128 bytes (half) and the Timing Interval to 500ms (slow).
Then click Update Firmware to try again.
You can repeat this process as many times as you need to, experimenting with different Timing settings, if necessary. It should "just work" the first time.
If it doesn’t work, perhaps try a different computer, a different MIDI interface, or re-install the latest drivers for the MIDI interface. It is recommended not to use a Digidesign Digi-002 to send the firmware update, due to a hardware bug in the Digi-002 which causes errors when sending large MIDI SysEx files.
If you have any questions or need additional assistance with this update, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-948-1990 (+1.828.251.0090).
Article is closed for comments.